Saturday, April 28, 2012

Power Brokers


I don’t feel like being overly verbose regarding my day yesterday but I will sum it up in one word: gratifying.  There were two main parts of the day, both of which involved meeting individuals with a considerable amount of sway in the community.  First, I went to a small summer villa in the mountains owned by General Aziz Swayze, the top commander of Kurdistan’s Army.  I didn’t get a chance to talk with him much, as he was always surrounded by people and he doesn’t speak English.  There were about 50-60 people there and as the picture shows, the table was huge.  The feast was your typical Kurdish cuisine, just a lot more of it. 

After lunch I went with Kevin, Bjin and Brien (the two students who invited me), and another gentleman who is a professor at the University of Zakho.  We took a trek through the hillsides and got some pretty amazing views.  The pictures tell the story better than I can.  I had never really eaten fresh almonds before.  Not the almonds you typically buy in the store, these are right off the tree and still ripe.  One had a worm in it so I quickly spit that one out, but the rest are pretty decent, although a bit tart. 










After we left to drive back to Duhok I wanted to air my feet out a bit as the day was pretty hot (it has been about 90 every day).  Naturally, just like I do back home, I stuck my feet out the window as we were driving.  Evidently this was the most ridiculous thing people had seen as every passing car gave a look one way or another.  I was amused and didn’t care, and Bjin was laughing hysterically.  I never saw the reason though as you see far more things on the road which are far more ridiculous.  As if to perfectly prove my point, a car passed us with about 5 people in the back seat, 2 in the front seat, and 3 sitting with their feet dangling out of the trunk.  Compared to that, I was just a regular passenger. 

            After I got home I had about 40 minutes to relax before the next adventure began.  Two faculty members from the law department at the university invited Samuel and I out for a picnic.  I thought we were hanging out in the mountains, drinking some whiskey and eating chicken.  To my surprise, we pull up to a massive house, still in the mountains, but clearly not the rustic getaway I had envisaged. 
            It is still very common to define your family not just by your immediate family, as we do, but to classify yourself as part of your tribe.  Tribes are located in certain areas of the region, and are fairly well connected.  It is a holdover from the past, but one that still bears a considerable deal of influence.  The Dosky tribe is the largest in Duhok, and we were at the tribal leader’s house. 
            We passed the mansion and pool and came to a large, tent covered room.   It was filled with couches, neatly decorated, and stocked with food and drinks.  There were about 9-10 of us, and it was all guys.  The conversation started in a way that many people typically try to avoid: discussing politics.  Chivas 21 dulled any inhibitions, and we dove right in.  We asked a lot of poignant and direct questions, about everything from the power of tribal leaders to Islam in the West, and he answered them all.  For hours we sat there, and before long, Samuel and I had killed an entire bottle of whiskey.  Stuffed with food and drink, and very much enjoying our host, it was a pretty awesome evening.  As a parting gift he gave us an entire bottle of Chivas.  At that point it was safe to say we were donezo. 


            But, as usually happens here, we got into the car and our driver suggested popping open a few piss warm beers.  As soon as it touched my lips I cringed at how awful it tasted.  Even cold beer here is akin to Miller Light, garbage.  After a bit we had to toss it out the window.  My stomach couldn’t take it, and Samuel was well in the tank too.  I didn’t make a giant mess in my room like last time, but I did wake up feeling quite under the weather.  All in all, it was an awesome day.  It involved meeting some powerful people, nature walks, shooting the breeze, and delicious food.  Can’t go wrong!


No comments:

Post a Comment