Thursday, March 29, 2012

Thoughts on Next Year


            As I readjust to my work schedule and life in Kurdistan a few things are quite clear: staying here is not the long term option I am looking for, and each passing day I become more intent on defining what it is that I am seeking.  I wouldn’t go so far as saying I have a mental countdown till my departure, but the reality that there is life after Kurdistan is calling loud and clear. 
In some ways this makes me better able to deal with the common frustrations of an American abroad.  I am excited to teach and continue cultivating relationships with my students. I know that my time is limited and I want to make the most of it.  In other ways, my patience has grown thinner.  I had little tolerance for bullshit from supervisors before; now I have none.  If pressed, I have no qualms about saying, “I refuse to work for this man, and if you try to make me, I will pack my bags and go.”  Today’s meeting with the Vice President was truncated, as is the norm, due to poor time management.  It was going smoothly until he hinted that Lazgin would manage another course we are doing.  I instantly started heating up and questioning this decision; had it not been for a shortened meeting, I no doubt would have stayed to argue.  But now that will be postponed until Sunday with Lazgin present.  Joy. 
Once the semester ends in May-June I am not sure what the rest of my experience here will be like.  In all likelihood, Paige will be heading back to the US.   Kevin may be on vacation in Thailand or somewhere else.  And I won’t have classes at the university to teach, meaning that I may end up having to teach at the Cultural Center.  These factors, combined with possibly having to change apartments, could make for a less than stellar final hurrah in Kurdistan.  I would consider leaving earlier, perhaps at the end of the summer, but quite frankly I need the additional salary.  I can’t afford to leave 3 months’ salary on the table like that, especially if it means having to pay for my own ticket home. 
In my pondering about next year’s course of action, I have been thinking about joining the National Guard.  I still have a lot more research to conduct, as well as speak to a recruiter and current Guardsmen, but it remains a possibility.  I will slightly alter my training regime to allow me to be able to pass any military physical test with flying colors.  There are still a lot of questions I would like answered, and concerns mollified (like deployment), but I will continue to think it over.  I have also begun taking some ASVAB practice tests to see what kind of positions I would qualify for.  As of right now, Intelligence and Civil Affairs positions seem to have piqued my interest.  But then again, all plans, especially those produced in my current state of mind while in the Middle East, are tenuous at best.  This will probably be one in a string of many posts musing over potential avenues to take next year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment