Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Voyage Home


Over the Pond and Back Again
            Given the nature of my surprise visit back home, no previous blogs mentioned the intent or destination of my trip; it was all kept general enough to show true excitement, but not specific enough as to indicate why.  The veiled nature of my actions will now force me to summarize in retrospect. 
             Initially, I had every intention of going to Germany.  I had specific flights targeted, the budgetary outlays accounted for, and a pretty detailed itinerary.  The “Purchase Now” button was all that needed to be pressed to make my German excursion a reality.  Despite my intrigue with the country and satisfaction with what I had planned, something wasn’t cliquing.  It just didn’t feel right.  In an unexpected turn of events, at about 3am on a random evening, I decided that I would surreptitiously abscond home instead. 
            It had been a while since I had seen my family, a lot has changed since then, and a lot of new changes were on the horizon.  Grandparents had passed, new ones were about to made, and, to be frank, I couldn’t justify spending the money to vacation alone while all of this was taking place.  To make my surprise visit successful I had to let a few people in on my true plans.  This would ensure that at every leg of the trip someone was there to coordinate my arrival and subsequent SURPRISE to an oblivious family member.  Lindsay, Matt, Maureen, and George all knew of my plans well in advance.  To their credit, not one of them blew the surprise and they maintained absolute silence. 
            My journey home was your run of the mill 30-hour trip with multiple car rides, planes, and layovers.  At this point I feel that I can travel almost anywhere in the world with the utmost of patience because of these embarkations.  Once I touched down in NYC the hugest of smiles lit up my face.  Not only could I understand everyone around me, but I could read again!  The greenback supplanted the Iraqi Dinar in my wallet, and I wasted no time heading to Chili’s for a Buffalo Chicken Sandwich…mmmm. 
            When I finally had arrived in Boston a few hours later I had a surprise of my own waiting for me: Dave.  He was supposedly unaware of my impending visit, but due to logistical concerns he had to be told of my trip.  Nevertheless, it was great to see Lindsay, Matt, and Dave waiting for me.  Damn it felt good to get home (after stopping to eat at Kowloon, of course). 

Time in NH
            The rest of my time in NH can adequately be described in one word: excess.  Just like before I left to come to Kurdistan, my return home was filled with attempting to satisfy every desire I would be or have been without.  Drinks flowed on a daily basis; my plate was never empty; and my lungs, well, they were kept in a state which certainly affected my portion sizes.  I made little to no attempt to work out, and made every effort to sit on the couch and soak in March Madness or play video games with Paul, Jeff, Corey, and Matt.  I did play tennis a few times as well as basketball, football, and soccer; however, it was nothing quite intensive enough to cancel out the exorbitant amount of indulgence that categorized my visit. 
            When I saw my Mom for the first time it was by surprising her at work.   Matt and Lindsay were standing in the office lobby and I sat in a chair slightly off to the side.  As the secretary called my Mom to the front she spoke to them, glanced over at me, and then talked to them again.  After a second of thought, and another double take, she finally realized it was me.  The ensuing excitement in the air was palpable. 
            Spending time at her house is growing ever more comfortable.  I am always reticent in any “new” situation like that, so it takes some time, ok a lot of time, to completely warm up.  It seems like they will stay together for a while, and I pray that it works out.  I like George as well as the rest of his family, and the overall situation seems to be going smoothly for everyone.  Maintaining continuity in the family has, for years now, been a goal just out of reach.  Now resting on the near horizon, I hope that these same people stick around for quite some time.  The dynamics of family change, but the people in it don’t have to. 
            There are many differences at the house in Raymond which are worth mentioning.  Lindsay, and now Aria, are moved into Papa’s old apartment.  Much of Papa’s old material possessions are now scattered across the house, awaiting their fate at a yard sale or elsewhere.  My room is still very much the same, although half of it now resembles a UPS store due to stacks of boxes.  In my deepest heart of hearts I know that we won’t be able to stay there forever, so I like to be prepared, despite my desire to maintain the beacon of stability at 3 Glen Ridge Road.   
            No matter where I voyage in the world and what I experience, and regardless of any changes that take place, things in Raymond still by and large feel the same.  My own journey continues to meander along some unbeknownst path, but Raymond, and my friends in it, always remind me where I came from.

Mass
            After spending some time in NH I made the trip down to Massachusetts to see the rest of the clan.  Maureen told the kids that there was a surprise for them, and they naturally presumed that it was a present.  Seeing their faces undoubtedly showed that they were not disappointed, and neither was I.  When my Dad came home from work Maureen had told him that I emailed from Germany and wanted to Skype.  As he sat at the kitchen table waiting for me to sign on, I strolled out of Kyle’s bedroom and asked, “Waiting for me?” 
            Seeing everyone was great for a number of reasons.  At times it is difficult to not feel that I am missing Kyle and Kory grow up.  I see them every 4-6 months and only for a few days at a time.  I cherish those moments, and they are quite enjoyable, but the daily grind of seeing and hearing about their experiences is curtailed due to distance.  Trying to balance time home, my sense of adventure, and building a career isn’t easy.  It is a constant journey of evaluation, re-evaluation, and self discovery. 
            Since my grandmother’s passing I have spoken to my grandfather quite a few times, but it was good to be able to see him.  Life is a gift that can be taken at any time, as was made clear in a short period, and I need to be even better about seizing opportunities to spend time with loved ones.  His spirits seem ok, but the feeling of overall resignation is clear.  When I go home again I will need to think of something random to add a spark to an otherwise mundane schedule.  I can add that to the list of things I am already planning for when my “university deployment” in Iraq is complete.  There are about 6.5 months left on my contract and although I have no inclination of what’s next, yet, I know one thing for sure….I am going home for at least 1-2 months first.  

No comments:

Post a Comment