Thursday, June 7, 2012

Scorched Earth

         Instead of some kind of Public Works Department cutting any overgrown grass near the sides of the road, people in the area simply light a match and let it burn.  I saw plumes of black smoke emanating from behind a tall concrete wall; naturally, anywhere else I would question if there was cause for concern because a fire had broken out.  Not here.  I have seen patches of blackened earth all over Duhok and the reason is simple.  When the dried grass gets too tall, the pyros can have a field day.  Due to extreme temperatures and an overall lack of moisture, I am certain that a fire has gotten out of control before, and a citizen of Duhok confirmed this to me.  Regardless, General Sherman would be proud his methods were still being employed today.




No comments:

Post a Comment