Monday, July 9, 2012

Opportunities


          For anyone who maintains at least fairly constant contact with me you know that I recently took a 3 week excursion to Istanbul, Turkey, Alcala, Spain, and Paris, France.  I didn’t really have the time or the inclination to blog during this time, but I will sum up the experience in a word: amazing.  It was everything I hoped it would be and was the perfect combination of exploring new places, spending time with old friends, and fanning rekindled flames.  I won’t say too much more than that, but I will post a few pictures which are worth seeing. 
            Now that I am back in Iraq I have a renewed sense of perspective on a few different things.  First, I was feeling pretty down about the experience before the vacation.  Part of it was the “3-month blues,” but there was certainly something deeper.  Given the lack of progress and empty promises abounding around me I felt myself beginning to feel jaded.  Getting away allowed me to step back, appreciate life a little bit, and start to focus on making the most of what little time left I have here. 
            I take pride in being fairly consistently critical of what I am doing or not doing.  It allows me to try and maintain focus and remain productive.  I have definitely tried a few different things while here, the NGO, a volunteering project, but lately I have admittedly given up hope for any new endeavors.  This place has the ability to build up your hope for an amazing sounding opportunity, and then suck the life out of it with a nefariously programmed vacuum.  Always the consummate idealist, my experience has certainly been touched with a healthy dose of reality, albeit in slightly different circumstances. 
The focus of my remaining 12-weeks has been shifted to one thing: the next step.  Florence and I have begun planning our wedding in earnest.  TV would make you think that planning a wedding is the most taxing experience in the world; one that draws couples into power struggles and financial ruin.  To Florence’s credit, she has been absolutely amazing.  We have agreed on nearly everything so far and, at every step of the way, she has exhibited a willingness to compromise and realistic expectations in the face of a limited budget.  Seeing how she has handled this process has only further deepened my feelings for her. 
            In addition, I have begun searching for jobs.  Figuring out the “next” steps in life is proving to be the most elusive goal of all.  Even defining what I want is hampered by the reality of a still tepid, at best, job market.  Seeing where my expectations meet reality, and what location they happen to meet in, will undoubtedly be a stressful and exciting endeavor.  I only hope that my experience here will put me on solid ground to begin the next phase of my career. 
            I labeled this post opportunities because the next 3-6 months of my life will define the next 2-3 years.  Since 2003, the year I started as a naïve young freshman at Seton Hall, I have lived in a new place every year but one.  I have thoroughly enjoyed the new experiences, and they have certainly been formative, but this next phase of my life will be characterized by a great deal more stability.  It is my hope, and prayer, that I am prepared for opportunities as they arise and have the foresight to recognize them when they present themselves.   

Pictures from the vacation: 




























No comments:

Post a Comment